Monday 5 March 2007

King of Arthur Avenue

Taken from "Not In My Airforce" 1996

"Just after the tin can laughter dies down I will hoist my vulgar flag,
Everywhere you are,
Don't blame me Don't maim me,
oh Like a leopard leaping out,
Into your life,
Crashing your nerve,
Who will protect you?,
You'd better stand tall,
Always on call I want a quick taste,
Look at your face changing,
Ideas exchanging,
The world is oblivious so far And it's timeless around me,
And nothing at all,
The world will be better when you fall,
You will recall..."

From one of Robert Pollard many Solo/Side-Project albums, "King of Arthur Avenue" starts as quite a lilting gentle acoustic track but suddenly explodes to life with a deep growly guitar finale and almost feels like two songs melded together. Again quite a longing type song that sounds better in isolation than hidden amongst the album.

3 comments:

Dan said...

well put about this tune sounding better on its own than within the album. took me a long time to notice it in the context of [i]not in my airforce[/i], but now it's a favorite.

Anonymous said...

A brilliant, evocative song. An all-time favorite of mine.

Unknown said...

One of my fave Pollard tunes..from a great record.