Saturday 3 March 2007

Choking Tara (Demo Version)

Taken from "Delicious Pie & Thank You For Calling"

"Days into weeks, She rattled my mind, We stayed out all week, And got happy this time, She fills empty space, I kinda need it that way, Crybaby says bye to me, I can't imagine that all our troubles will go away, But I could catch her and break the falls, I could snatch her with breaks and claws, Today when every "fake it", Decides to make it, They just can't take it away, Shove it, cus I'll just stay, Like an ugly unwanted stray, Don't care what you say"

Originally a song from Mag Earwig! this demo version is a stripped down acoustic demo version and is the first part of a trio of version of this song (demo, album version and creamy version) and to me is the best of the three. As usual it sounds like a song recorded on a tape deck in a basement (it was) and has a melancholic thread and seems, to me a least, a song about hanging onto a relationship when you feel you aren't good enough. Bit sad really but always sounds defiant and joyful the way it is sung. Its a nice song and a good place to start the "A Pollard A Day" blog.
Any comments welcome.

1 comment:

What the Parrot Saw said...

One of Bob's best heartbreak numbers- very Buddy Holly to my ears (not an artist I typically touch on in writing about a Pollard tune).

This may well be my favorite version of this hidden gem as well. Perfect economy, great melody- sometimes the demo trumps the final product.