Monday 3 September 2007

Subspace Biographies

Taken from "Waved Out" 1998

"Has there been a break today,
Stoned comedian Ringo?
Should I put the plates away?
Captain, are you sure they’re coming in?

I am quail and quasar
I picked you up on radar
I do my job each day
Empties crushed and fired away
And there is nothing worse than
An undetermined person
Can I abuse you please
In my subspace biographies?"

One of my favourite songs because it has a real momentum and builds into quick and epic song. Its also has a Sci-Fi feel to it, well it does to me anyway and I'm a bit of a Sci-Fi Geek. Almost Epic towards the end.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to know what Pollard meant by these lyrics.
Who's Ringo and the captian? This guy is a trip.

itchycoo parka said...

it has been theorized by some that "The Captain" is a reoccurring character in many of his songs that is sort of an alter-ego to Uncle Bob himself. Hence, "The Fading Captain Series". as for "Stoned Comedian Ringo", it could be a dig at whoever was playing drums for him at the time...as for the rest of it, it's at least nearly as impressionistic/ stream of consciousness autobiography [hence title] as, say, any of dylan's work.

Anonymous said...

gottverdammt blogger comments..."dad" is me.

What the Parrot Saw said...

Killer hook at the end, and "stoned comedian Ringo" remains one of my favorite Pollard lyric fragments.

"And there is nothing worse than/an undetermined person" is the sort of bon mot that gives philosophy majors the shakes/a reason to live. Great!

Always a live fave.