Saturday 22 September 2007

Bulldog Skin

Taken from "Mag Earwig!" 1997

"I played the part
I played the start
I made a table out of clay
I placed my hands upon the plans
I waited for a proud display
I played around
I heard the sound of certain trouble on the way

I got bulldog skin

I took a car
I drove it far
I dug the quality of steel
I crashed my nerve
I made it swerve
I made it back - was no big deal
I tasted blood
A date with scud
And now I don't know how to feel

I got bulldog skin"

This was one of Guided By Voices biggest hits but personally not one of my favourite songs. It has its moments but there is something very basic and Oasis about this song. It is classic rock and roll I suppose but it just doesn't do it for me. And that video, that annoys me too.

1 comment:

What the Parrot Saw said...

Oasis is a good call for this (never made that connection! but true...).

The riff carries the thing, but said riff sounds like a Glimmer Twins retread at best.

Good performance, but Bob has penned far better stuff. A rare instance (to my ears) of Bob consciously aping a style without putting his own touch on it.