Saturday 16 February 2008

Chicken Blows

Taken from "Alien Lanes" 1995

"Chicken blows
I suppose we could have a girl or a boy
And I see what you mean
I'm not here to drink all the beer
In the fridge (oh, la la la)
In the room (oh)
In the house
In the place (oh, la la la)
That we both (oh)
So love
Can you sink to the depths (lots of "oh"ing)
I don't know
I don't even care
And our lives slip away
In the end we will probably reach
All the way (oh, la la la)
To the walls (oh)
over there
Have you flown? (oh, la la la)
Our courage (oh)
Is only a taste
And I'll get paid (ooh, ooh)
If you'll get laid (ooh, ooh)
It's our parade (ooh, ooh)"

Love this song. The wobbly vocals. The delicate Guitars. The clunks and atmosphere. The "oh, la la la" backing vocals. The saddest sounding song in the the world. What are Chicken Blows? A Classic.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

does it get any better than this?

Anonymous said...

actually, no, i think it does not get better. i long for these days of the original and antique gbv. irreplaceable.
btw: great idea for a blog. i'll have to remember to check in.

What the Parrot Saw said...

The cupped hands effect still kills me- so simple.

Buster said...

cupped hands, huh? I always thought maybe he was singing into a fan... anyway, one of my favorites of all time, by Bob or anyone else.

jeffpollard said...

I love the scene in the 'Watch Me Jumpstart' doco where they're listening to Chicken Blows in the back of a car and Bob's describing it as Beatlesque. I think it's the Ooh Ooh la la la's that give it that!

dbfreedom said...

This was the first GbV track I ever heard, in the mid-90s, off a free 7" from a magazine called Ptolmeic Terrascope. Split with Flying Saucer attack and some crazy Scandanavian prog. Until I rediscovered it recently it was really warped, which added a whole new level of LoFi... Happy days!

Anonymous said...

as the story goes- the sound of bobs voice was achieved by his brother, jim, banging on his back with his fist as he sang one of the greatest tunes ever recorded