Monday 30 April 2007

Cold War Water Sports

Taken from "Selective Service" 2001

"Grand filled father fake maneuver
It chills the bones in most mothers
But who's choosing
Latter day saint's are bruising
Expectations great
Still they make a moon pie
Nice and high like bottle rocket
But I'm not begging
I'm asking rather politely
Wealthy minglers
Cold War Water Sports
Johnny come never
He's increasing the frankenstein
loosing the the free association
Cold sensations"

A sluggish downbeat number from the split Airport 5 and Guided By Voices "Selective Service" EP. A very basic song with what sounds like a simple drum machine and a bass loop. Some interesting lyrics going on and the refrain of "Cold War War Water Sports" sort of reminds me of my little trip to Czech Republic. Love the "Cold Sensations" ending and sung in a very different way by Mr Pollard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the greatest, most beutiful songs of all time. If I had a religion, it would be this song. It moves me in ways I can't describe. Perfection.

Anonymous said...

yes! love this tune.

Dan Coffey said...

I will third the reaction. I've been listening to Selective Service a lot lately and CWWS is the stand-out for me. Increasing the Frankenstein, fo sho!

Dan Coffey said...

By the way, anyone know what he's saying in French? "...... maison (season) Water Sports"?

XRayLexx said...

Maison is House isnt it?