Monday 27 April 2009

He's The Uncle

Taken from "Under The Bushes Under The Stars" 1996

"And now we see eye to eye
That another man's trash is collectible
And every weakness is correctible
Be leaving here quite soon now
Be pushing off to the moon now

And wow - I have had quite a time
And the mosh pit is filled
With memorabilia
And if you'd have stayed
They'd have killed ya
Be takin' you home anytime now
And I had a very nice time now

We are not so cold, are we?
They are not so bold, are they?
And I am getting old, aren't I?

We are not so cold, are we?
They are not so bold, are they?
And I am getting old, aren't I?

And how did you like my clothes?
I wore them so that they wouldn't dump us"

Bonus Track Alert! Great song with a very Paul McCartney vocal with great crunching production. For ages I thought this was on the Tigerbomb EP, I am incorrect. The chorus of "We are No So Sold Are We? They are not so bold, are they? And I am getting old, aren't I?" is jaw droppingly amazing. Thanks Bob.

4 comments:

jeffpollard said...

My friend hates GBV but loves Jim O'Rourke. I read somewhere that Jim plays guitar on this track. On a recent re-listen I can only assume it's the crazy noisefest guitar break. I love this song. It employs some obvious Pollardism's but what a beautiful soaring melody! And lyrics that just seem to work! How can anybody write so many songs but very rarely write one that's embarrassing?

Buster said...

love this one. I always thought he sang "the mosh pit is filled with the unfamiliar"

Anonymous said...

Actually, the chorus is "We are not so old are we?" We recorded it with Steve Albini and it was Steve's idea to bring Jim over for the weird break. We paid him $200. Bob didn't like it and recorded another solo over it on Toby's 4-track. It was meant for the aborted Power of Suck concept album. The acoustic demo, which is probably on one of the Suitcases, was heartbreakingly awesome. As it stands, still heartbreakingly awesome.

Anonymous said...

I meant, "We are not so COLD are we?" Stupid computer.